Monday, September 18, 2006



Training day 3:

So the first week of the "New Regime" is now over. I have successfully cut down on the booze and I have made it to the gym quite a lot.

But the initial enthusiam and excitement about getting fit for this madcap Arctic adventure has well and truely worn off. It has dawned on me that this is a going to be a long hard slog. I decided that I would go for a run in Brockwell Park this morning. Its about a mile from the flat. The plan was to run to the park, do a lap and run back. It didn't quite work out like that. I managed to run to the park, but I was so knackered that I had to then walk through the park and then stagger home for a lie down. I think its going to take a wee while before I start seeing a noticeable improvement in performance.

Anyway, I am also starting to have worrying dreams about this expedition (see photo). It is not helped by a friend who emailed me a story about a chap who climbed Everest. He had lost both legs below the knee in a car accident but had somehow decided that climbing the heightest mountain in the world was still a good idea. Unfortunately he got caught in bad weather and lost two fingers with frostbite. However, he said that having lost two legs, a couple of fingers wasn't going to make much difference. I am not sure if the car accident had damaged his mental faculties or if he was the bravest chap on the planet. Either way, horrific stories of limb loss in freezing mountain conditions are not helpful! So all gleeful emails containing similar tales from "friends" can now stop thankyou!

Further update tomorrow.

No comments: